New Year’s Eve is upon us, it is time to celebrate the accomplishments of 2016 and prepare for the adventures that 2017 will bring. We often spend our New Year’s Eve at home with our children however Ottawa has some excellent events that you can attend. A word of caution, take public transit this evening, security is high and most of the downtown streets will be closed.
According to the OttawaTourism.ca there are many amazing events to attend on NYE in Ottawa, these are my top three picks from the Ottawa Tourism “Ring In the New Year in Style” post:
- Sesquicentennial Celebrations at Ottawa City Hall. This early-evening NYE party will offer family-friendly activities and the lighting of a spectacular gas-powered cauldron in Marion Dewar Plaza. From the cauldron, students will form a human chain through Ottawa’s downtown core to symbolize youthful optimism. The cauldron, which is approximately 16 feet high and 13 feet wide, will be located near the memorial fountain next to Laurier Avenue. This event is free.
- Celebrate – Canada 150 Kick Off will take place on Parliament Hill at 7:00 p.m. There will be special activities on both sides of the Ottawa River, including live music performances and a pyromusical fireworks show at 8:17 p.m., also known as 20:17! This celebration will kick off festivities all across the country! After the fireworks at 8:17 p.m., Canadian artists Radio Radio, Brett Kissel and Carly Rae Jepsen will take the stage. There will then be a second fireworks display at midnight. This event is free. Visit Ottawa Tourism’s Signature 2017 Events page for more details.
A New Year’s Eve Hogmanay party invites you to welcome 2017 in Scottish-style. Taking place at Lansdowne’s Aberdeen Pavilion, Hogmanay is a family-friendly party that features traditional and modern Scottish music, Highland dancing, Scotch tasting sessions, Scottish food and drink, outdoor skating and fireworks. Hogmanay aims to replicate the excitement of Edinburgh’s world famous Royal Mile as the clock strikes midnight and we enter the New Year. Admission to this event is free.3. Masquerade into 2017 with Escape Manor. Escape Manor will host a New Year’s Eve party at Lowertown Brewery at 73 York St. The party will start with a cocktail reception from 8:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. and continue with a dance party for the rest of the night! Masks are encouraged along with canned good donations for the Ottawa Food Bank.
Welcome 2017 with Copper Goes Gold! Located at the new Andaz Ottawa ByWard Market hotel, Copper Spirits & Sights Rooftop Lounge will host a New Year’s Eve party with a spectacular bird’s eye view of Ottawa! Enjoy canapes, charcuterie, champagne and more. Also, enjoy a great view of the 2017 fireworks at 8:17 p.m. The doors open at 7:30 p.m.
Each of these events needs a unique hair style and we asked Nina Farrauto, official Stylist for Batiste™ Dry Shampoo Canada, to predict the top three red-carpet hair styles for 2016 and share her trade secrets on how you can get the look at home on NYE. It’s all about simple, elegant looks you can master in the comfort of your own home.
1. Loose Waves
“Loose, sexy waves used to be seen as a more casual look, but we’ve seen celebrities rocking more glamorous waves at recent award shows and I’m sure we’ll continue to see lots of waves on the red carpet this fall” – Nina Farrauto, Stylist for Batiste™ Dry Shampoo Canada
How to get the look:
1) Part hair down the centre.
2) Section hair (two inch wide sections) and wrap pieces in alternating directions around a curling barrel. Pull curl from the bottom while hot to create a relaxed, wavy curl.
3) After hair is styled and set, flip hair over and spray Batiste™ Original Dry Shampoo at the roots (30 cm away) to keep hair looking and smelling clean and fresh, and remove any excess oil. Don’t forget to massage Batiste™ in with your fingertips, and lightly brush your hair through.
2. Short and hassle free hair
“Actresses are giving up their long, heavy hair for a ‘no hassle’ style. The look is easy to do for every day, or when you’re looking for a little extra volume at the roots” – Nina Farrauto, Stylist for Batiste™ Dry Shampoo Canada.
Get the Look:
1) While the hair is still a little damp from a fresh wash, part hair to the side
2) Evenly apply a texturizing spray or mousse and ‘scrunch’ hair into your hands, and make a fist. Do this repeatedly with random sections of hair, and make sure you get all of it.
3) Once the hair has dried, lift sections of the top layer of hair and apply Batiste™ XXL Volume Dry Shampoo to the roots (30 cm away). This will provide an instant lift at the roots, and give you some volume. Don’t forget to massage Batiste™ in with your fingertips, and lightly brush your hair through.
3. Creative side swept braids
“The Met Gala is always a great predictor of looks for the remainder of the red carpet season, and this year we saw many unique and intricate braids. A loose side swept French braid is one of my favourite looks.” – Nina Farrauto, Stylist for Batiste™ Dry Shampoo Canada
Get the Look:
1. Begin with your hair in a deep side part.
2. With your hair all brushed to the side, take a section at the front of your hair and part it into three sections.
3. Begin to French braid the front of your hair following your hairline, gathering hair into the braid only from the side away from your hairline. This will allow the French braid to lay around your face.
4. Once you have French braided all the way down and collected the hair, finish the ends with a regular braid and secure with an elastic.
5. Massage the French braid and braid with your fingertips to create more volume and fullness.
6. For day two, simply remove the braids and use your favourite Batiste™ Dry Shampoo for revitalized and beautiful waves – just spray 30 cm away, rub in with fingertips and lightly brush the top before styling.
Who says only celebrities get all the glitz and glamour? Which hairstyle will you try out for New Year’s Eve? To help you get the hairstyle you like now and in 2017, I am giving away a $25 Gift Card to Winners.
The winner will be chosen on January 8th, 2017. Good Luck and please share!