January 31 to February 17, 2014
Get set for the 36th Winterlude, the Capital’s winter celebration! This family-friendly festival transforms Canada’s Capital Region into the ideal destination to celebrate Canadian traditions in wintertime.
The Department of Canadian Heritage is busy planning an exciting line-up of events with something for everyone. Winterlude 2014 activities will take place at Crystal Garden in Confederation Park, at Snowflake Kingdom in Jacques-Cartier Park, on the Rideau Canal Skateway, and at various partner sites.
Crystal Garden in Confederation Park, Ottawa
“Memories” carved in ice!
Witness a fusion of art and ice at Crystal Garden and discover a world of memories. Located in Confederation Park, this spectacular display of crystalline ice sculptures will take your breath away. Come admire this icy world of wonder at night, and discover an outdoor urban dance scene like no other. Some of the highlights include:
- Opening Ceremony: Winterlude’s Great Winter Ball;
- 27th International Ice-Carving Competition;
- Winter Memories: Wooden Cabin Village public art exhibition;
- Stand-Up to Bullying Comedy Hour with Rick Mercer, Mary Walsh and Patrick McKenna; and
- Sub-Zero DJ Nights, including an East Coast kitchen party!
Snowflake Kingdom in Jacques-Cartier Park, Gatineau
Winter sports and games — with the Ice Hog Family!
Presented by the Department of Canadian Heritage and the Ville de Gatineau, Jacques-Cartier Park in Gatineau is the site of North America’s biggest snow playground, and the home-away-from-home of the Ice Hog family, Winterlude’s furry mascots. Outfitted with larger-than-life snow slides, Snowflake Kingdom provides enjoyment for the young and the young at heart. Here are a few highlights:
- Super Slides: snow and tube slides
- voices of Yukon performers and Team Yukon-Canada snow carvers
- Aboriginal Village interactive exhibit
- XTREME Zone: zip line, pedal go-carts, bungee trampoline and giant maze
The Rideau Canal Skateway
Celebrating 44 seasons of skating!
This winter kicks off the 44th skating season on the Rideau Canal Skateway. Set in a UNESCO world heritage site, the world’s largest skating rink will host a variety of activities, so sharpen your blades for a unique Canadian outdoor winter experience. During Winterlude, the Rideau Canal Skateway will be centre stage for several events, including:
- 31st Annual Winterlude Triathlon;
- 34th Annual Accora Village Bed Race;
- Giant Tiger Interactive Hockey Zone.
More partners, more diversity, more fun!
For the 36th Winterlude, more than 90 programming partners have come together to offer visitors a wide range of indoor and outdoor activities aimed at animating the Capital like never before. Here is just a sampling:
- Ottawa Winter Jazz Festival;
- Cracking Up the Capital Comedy Festival;
- Northern Lights 2014: Business and Cultural Showcase;
- Ottawa Fashion Week;
- Gatineau Winter BeerFest
- Winterman Marathon and Marathon Relays;
- Ski and Snowboard Rail Jam Competition;
- Snow’Art – Snow Sculptures in the ByWard Market;
- German-Canadian Graffiti Jam;
- Downtown Rideau BIA’s CHILL FACTOR;
- Cool Science Saturday;
- and much, much more including a series of culinary experiences!
The Department of Canadian Heritage is proud to present Winterlude with the support of the following official site sponsors and partners: Ville de Gatineau, City of Ottawa, National Capital Commission, Government of Yukon, Veterans Affairs Canada, Parks Canada, Royal Norwegian Embassy, Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany, Embassy of Mexico in Canada, National Defence and the Canadian Forces, Canadian Museum of Nature, Société de transport de l’Outaouais, OC Transpo, OLG – Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation, Enbridge Gas Distribution, Giant Tiger, and many others, including support of the Region’s hospitality industry. Special thanks to the hundreds of volunteers who contribute their time, talent, and energy during the Capital’s winter celebration.
There is so much to see and do during Winterlude in the nation’s capital, but I think Rick Mercer gives an insiders view!
See you there!